Offering Motorists Free Car Safety Check
The SIMI (Society of the Irish Motor Industry) today (31st August) launched its ‘Safe Car Campaign 2009’ with the actress Orlaith Rafter in attendance. The SIMI is offering motorists a visual car check, free of charge, at participating dealerships for the months of September and October 2009, just in time for the back to school run!
The Safe Car Campaign 2009 will highlight the importance of regular vehicle servicing and encourage drivers to be aware of the necessity to check their vehicle on an ongoing basis. The SIMI has devised a Visual Check Sheet which garages will provide to the customer on completion of the check. The visual check will include checks on tyres, brakes, suspension, steering, levels, battery & hoses, interior controls, lights and exhaust.
Speaking at the launch of the campaign, SIMI’s Director General, Alan Nolan said, “We are encouraging all motorists to avail of this free, 10-point car check which is being offered at all participating SIMI member garages. With children back to school and the inevitable increase in traffic, it is important that people are mindful of the importance of checking items such as tyres and brakes on a regular basis. This free check will identify any major problems that may exist in the car and make drivers aware of the areas that they should be vigilant of and check regularly.”
In addition to the Free Car Check, the SIMI has produced Service and Repair Guidelines 2009 to better inform motorists of their rights and what to expect from a recognised SIMI service and repair provider. All garages participating in the Free Car Check have signed up to the SIMI Service and Repair Guidelines which commits them to a fair and transparent process of quoting, pricing and reassurance in relation to service and repair work.
Nolan continued, “By getting your car regularly serviced, you improve the safety of your vehicle and prevent the need for potentially costly repairs. Your car is an asset that needs to be looked after on a regular basis. Therefore, by looking after your car now, when you do decide to trade in your car, you will improve the trade in value.”
The Service and Repair Guidelines 2009 and details of the SIMI garages offering the Free Car Check are available from the SIMI’s website (www.simi.ie) and the guidelines are also available from participating garages.
About the Free Check
• Developed by SIMI to promote safe driving and awareness of the importance of vehicle maintenance
• The free SIMI Safe Car Check is offered at no cost to the customer
• It is a 10-point visual safety check
• Participating SIMI member garages will offer this check without any obligation to the customer
• While you are under no obligation to do so, if any dangerous defects are identified during the check, you will be advised to
rectify these defects a matter of urgency
• This check is not a substitute or pre-test for the NCT test
• An appointment for this free check is necessary and participating SIMI member garages will make every effort to accommodate customers. To book this free check please go to www.simi.ie for a list of participating garages.
What is included in the 10-point SIMI Free Safe Car Check:
2. Tyre Condition & Measurements
7. Lights & Reflectors
8. Interior Controls
9. Levels, Battery & Hoses