‘Lets Do It Galway’ the organisers of the Irish Stopover Leg of the 2008/2009 Volvo Ocean Race has unveiled its plans for two action-packed weeks of sailing, music, spectacle, culture and craic from 23 May to 06 June.
The Galway Volvo Ocean Race Festival will be the biggest free ever event to be hosted in Ireland and an estimated 200,000 people are expected to visit Galway during the two-week spectacle. Fáilte Ireland on behalf of the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism are the principal sponsors of the Galway Stopover and supported the bid for the Volvo Ocean Race to come to Galway.
After Galway the fleet will race to Marstrand and Stockholm, Sweden before finishing the race in St Petersburg, Russia at the end of June 2009.
Éamon Bradshaw, CEO of Galway Harbour Company stated ‘We are delighted to be part of the Galway Volvo Ocean Race Stopover. Galway Harbour Company are working with Let’s Do It Galway to host a fun packed fortnight of sea and land based events for Galwegians and tourists alike and to ensure the safety of all in the bay area over the two week event.’
· For all the family – Street Theatre performances in the Race Village and on the Green Dragon route by Arcana, Buí Bolg, Luxe and Tumble Circus, a Promenade Beach Party, Lá Gaeilge, Galway Community Circus, the Volvo Ocean Race experience including the simulator, model boat racing, the grinder challenge and the Dome, air display by the Red Arrows and two world record attempts.
· For concert goers – Free concerts by the Hothouse Flowers, Sharon Shannon, Aslan, The Stunning, Kila, The Coronas, Lucia Evans and lots more…
· For art lovers – Trail with 18 exhibitions around the city with a maritime theme including exhibitions and talks at Galway City Museum.
· For food lovers – The best of West of Ireland food at the Race Village and a good variation of cuisine on offer throughout restaurants in the city.
· For sailors – See the might of the Volvo Open 70’s up close and your chance to see some of the world’s leading ocean sailors. Take the PUMA Mast Challenge. Participate in some fringe sailing events such as the GB09 Cruiser Championships and junior sailing events. View traditional boat racing on Galway Bay.
· For school children – visit Galway on your school tour and visit the Galway Atlantaquarium
Full programme details available on www.galwayvolvooceanrace.com